Teacher of the Year

Abby Richardson, Staff

Each year, CFISD honors one teacher from each school. These recipients are selected annually by campus principals for their outstanding dedication and service to our students and our district.

Kathleen Vargas, economics teacher and team leader, is receiving the title for Teacher of the Year. She has been a teacher for eight years at Cy Falls, and has seen graduates from Falls beginning with the class of 2010.

“I became a teacher and it just seemed to fit,” Vargas said. “I love coming to work each day and working with my students.”

Before her teaching position, Vargas had multiple jobs in the corporate world. Such as working at a marketing department for the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum, she has worked as a receptionist at a vet clinic and also,  throughout high school and college, worked for Kohls, Gap,  and Gymboree. She has experience in both positions and is enjoying her time as a teacher.

“After working in the corporate world,”  Vargas said. “I know that no other job is as rewarding as this one.”

Mother of two, Vargas still finds time to create a bond with her students by helping prepare them for life after high school. She not only helps to put on Big Event every year, a school clean-up day that happens every spring, but she also helps to plan out college trip visits so that the students of Cy Falls can see what options are available to them.

“Take the time to get to know your students,” Vargas said. “When you do that, you can learn so much about them, and it really makes the job more fun and rewarding. I love getting my students to laugh, and you can’t do that if you don’t know something about them, or take the time to know their personality.”

Vargas has made the best out of her eight years as a teacher. She has seen her students graduate and make it into the professional world, and formed a student-teacher bond between that.

“Teaching is something that I really love to do. I can’t imagine doing anything else.”