The Importance of Black History Month

The Importance of Black History Month

Alise Maxie, Editor

February is the month of love, but more importantly the month of black history. Black History Month was started by Carter G. Woodson and Jesse E. Moreland and was originally just an organization. Association for the Study of Negro Life and History was made to show the importance and positive impact African Americans had on America.

To me, black history teaches us motivation and determination,” Jordan Wysingle said (11). “It makes us want to be like these intelligent poets, authors, inventors, and activists.”

Black History Month reminds African Americans how far they’ve come and the greatness they’ve achieved throughout the years. It teaches this community that they still matter. African Americans get overshadowed and underrepresented in every aspect of life with the one exception of Black History Month.

“I think school definitely does not teach enough about black history they only cover the negative part like slavery,” Wysingle said. “Also only cover the basics such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks. There’s a lot more in my history than just that. I think  black history is overlooked because other races think it’s not important which it is. They didn’t have to fight like we did to get recognized for our own work and credits.”

More than 350,000 African Americans fought in World War I yet they never received recognition for their help in the war until decades later. Even through World War II, African Americans and whites were still segregated in battle and didn’t get equal medical treatment.  African Americans constantly fought for this country to make it the great nation it is today.

“Black History Month teaches us where we came from, and how strong and powerful our black men and women are,” Kaya Murray said (11). “Black history is often overlooked. I feel like they think we are low and always want to take credit for what we did. I do not think most schools teach students enough about Black History, and I truly hope they change it soon.”

In the past, African American achievements have often times been overshadowed and overlooked. Black History Month informs Americans about these achievements by having parades in honor of these unsung heros. Heroes such as J.P knight and Garrett Morgan, the inventors of the traffic light, Madam C.J. Walker, the first black millionaire, Flo Jo, the fastest woman to live, Mae Jemison, the first African American to travel in space, and George Washington Carver, inventor of peanut butter.

“I love being black,” Crystal Aguocha said (11). “Growing up, my hair and my skin tone were points of insecurity for me and I wanted to change it, but now it’s one of my favorite things about me that makes up who I am. I’m black, proud, and loud, and never going back.”