Clear Backpack Policy

Alise Maxie, Editor

By now, the majority of the community has been informed that CFISD has installed a clear backpack policy for all middle and high schools. This policy will take place for the 2018-19 school year until further stated.

“The policy was developed by the district’s Safety and Security committee, which is meeting throughout the summer to evaluate current safety standards and make enhancements where necessary,” Joel Weckerly, CFISD communications director, said.

This was not a district board vote decision, but an administrative policy the district developed after input from a committee that included representation from every middle school and high school campus. This policy was put in place with the students safety being the district’s number one priority.

“Schools are communicating the policy to their local communities with the goal of enhanced safety and security for our students,” Weckerly said.

With the clear backpack policy being a change for all students, some have voiced concerns about privacy which is why non clear pencil bags and makeup bags will be allowed for use at the school. Furthermore, athletic bags will not be allowed during school hours. These bags will have to be kept locked up and attended to by the coaches until after school. This rule clearly helps display the fact that no student will get special treatment from the clear backpack policy.

“While not everyone agrees with the changes, the majority can see the intent behind this deterrence,” Weckerly said.