Getting Involved

Alise Maxie, Editor

What a great way to start the 2018-2019 school year than to join a club. Whether a freshman or senior, new clubs startup all the time. American Sign Language club, FIDM fashion club, and Black Student Union are new clubs recently started a Cy Falls.

American Sign language Club is the oldest of the three at Cy Falls and is lead by the presidents Jenna Bissonnet (12) and Basma Sami (11) . It was started because Basma and Jenna wanted to share their love of ASL with other students at CyvFalls. Using sign to secretly communicate with each other in class, they both learned to see the beauty in the language.

“We realized Cy Falls didn’t have any clubs or classes to inform people about the language, so we decided to take it in our own hands and really open the language up to people,” Sami said.

Houston is becoming a huge melting pot of different people and backgrounds, a lot of students here at Cy Falls know more than just english. Learning different languages and cultures is a way to connect with other students.

“Our club brings awareness to the deaf community,” Basma (11) said. “I feel like we are so separate from each other because we can’t communicate and to me that’s a problem.”

Black Student Union was also started last year like the American Sign Language (ASL) Club, but it was started so late in the year only two meetings ever happened. The Black student Union Cy Falls chapter was started by Creg Moulton (12).

“The Black Student Union goes on a college visit to an HBCU every year,” Moulton said. “We also host a school wide toy drive and an educational mentorship program for our members. In addition to this we decorate the school hallways with educational pictures and posters for Black History Month.”

Black Student Union now has more than 50 members, both African American and non African American, and is expanding every day. Black Student Union is a way for young black students to come together, learn about black history, and how to be proud being who they are. Their next meeting is Thursday October 5.

“This club highlights the academic and athletic achievements of the black students here at Cy Falls,” Moulton said.

Last, but not least, the FIDM Fashion club was started this 2018-2019 school year thanks to  the president of the club,Jenna Bissonnet (12).

“I wanted to start the FIDM Fashion Club at Cy Falls to help people enhance their creative, teach people the importance of fashion and design, and to give students something to look forward to,” Bissonnet said. “I want to promote the FIDM college and their scholarship opportunities.”

Fashion is a huge part of society, especially in high school. Most students are learning and experimenting to find out what style fits them. Students don’t all dress the same and who wants too, why not be apart of something where students can make something that defines them.

“For each meeting, we talk about different aspects of the fashion industry and do fun projects and DIY’s to enhance creativity,” Bissonnet said.

Whether your passion is learning Sign, black culture or how to make some cute crop tops, there is a club for you here at Cy Falls. Join one that best fits your personality and remember, We Are One.