Eco Fair

Alyse Amos, Staff member

Every year, at Cy Falls, the entire senior class participates in Eco Fair. The students are responsible for making a product and an advertisement for that product, and at the end of the semester, they have to try and “sell” their products to other students.

“The purpose of Eco Fair is to teach students how to set up and run a business,” Kathleen Vargas, an economics teacher, said. “Through this process students come up with a product, produce it, advertise it, and then sell it. Last, we analyze profits to look at business success rates.”

The event will be held on November 30, during first and second period. The students have to go through the process of getting their projects approved. Even this is a learning opportunity.

“Right now students are turning in their patent forms and prototypes,” Vargas said. “This allows the economics teachers and the administration the opportunity to screen projects for school appropriateness and ensure variety at the fair.”

Eco fair is an very anticipated event every year. The seniors work hard on their products and everybody is ready to see the fruits of that labor.

“Falls has been doing Eco Fair since it’s opening over 25 years ago,” Vargas said. “It was a tradition that started at Jersey Village and has spread to almost every school in Cy-Fair. We have been trying to get it into all 12 schools to make this a unique Cy-Fair ISD tradition.”

Although the senior students are under a lot of stress and pressure, they have fun working with their groups and being innovative and creative.

“I’d say the best part is just having fun and meeting new people around the school,” Jerald Goodly (12) said.

Not only students, but teachers find great joy in watching kids participate and create. They love seeing what items the students will come up with and how they differ from year to year.

“Even though it does a have a lot of working parts and different grading opportunities,” Dyce Mcculloch, an economics teacher said. “I wouldn’t trade it in for anything.”